Saturday, August 12, 2006

I have titler's bloc, so umm...

I wrote an earlier article entitled ‘Mass Movement’ or Revolution in which I criticized left-communists who asserted that the protests in France during March of 2006 were the beginning of a revolution. The intent of ‘Mass Movement’ or Revolution was to explain that mass movements are not revolutions. I’ve decided to further this explanation and even toss in a bit of self-criticism along the way. So I’m starting a three-part project entitled Anatomy of Change. The three parts will follow:
  1. The concrete-historical conditions of four mass movements: May 1968, anti-globalization, the Zapatistas, and the French labor protests of 2006. Furthermore, I will be analysis the abstractions that can be made about each of these movements.
  2. I will be doing the same with four revolutions: the French Revolution of 1789, the Iranian Revolution, the October Revolution, and the Chinese Revolution.
  3. The third installment will focus on what it takes to move from a mass movement to a revolution and the nature of non-mass movement revolutions.
I’ll probably have the first post up in a week or so. I may half the first two instalments but I’m not sure about that.



Al: Brother, if only we had organized a vanguard organization we might
have defeated the bourgeoisie.

Ed: ...

1 comment:

HV said...

Fascinating - I look forward to it. I hope you're in school and get some official credit for it, not just the acclaim of the Marxist blogsphere!